Information for Convention June 2016
For the Meal Information and other Convention Information go to the Upcoming Events menu located under the News tab.
ALERT! VETERANS & FAMILY SUPPORT
Many questions have been asked about where to report an Auxiliary’s participation in the Quilts of Valor.
After seeking answers from National I have found that yes, you can report it under Veterans & Family Support if:
(1) It has been voted on by your Auxiliary to support this project and it was placed in your minutes at the time of the vote. You have to vote to accept the hours and monetary before you can go forward. This is NOT retroactive.
(2) Before you give your Auxiliary money to someone you should ask for an EIN number and the name of the chapter so that it can be put on the check. This way if by chance your Auxiliary is audited you have documentation of your donation in your minutes and in your Treasurers books.
While we recognize that this is a wonderful program we ask that you remember our on VFW Auxiliary programs and the money, hours, miles and volunteers it takes make our own programs successful.
Thank you for everything you do for our Veterans
Have you purchased your Buddy Poppies yet?
Buddy Poppies are such an important part of our programs. From creation to distribution, they help veterans. To see exactly how the program works, go to www.VFWAuxiliary.org and click on Programs, then Veterans & Family Support and look for the link to a YouTube video on Buddy Poppies. It will only take a few minutes to view. Share it with your friends too! I posted it on my Facebook page in the hope that my Facebook friends will share it on their pages.
Let’s all do our part. Purchase Buddy Poppies and set up some times to distribute them. It doesn’t have to be on a patriotic holiday – any day can be Buddy Poppy Day! There is no better way to build up your Relief Fund and it is a great way to let the public know what the Buddy Poppy and our organization are all about.
Valorie Wrinkle, Veterans & Family Support Chairman
MEMO FROM NATIONAL
DATE: February 23, 2016
TO: National Officers Department Presidents
Past National Presidents Department Treasurers
National District Council Members Department Secretaries
RE: National Bylaws, Section 810-2016 National Convention Registration— Convention Packet Not Mailed Following Convention
FROM: Jan Owens, National Secretary-Treasurer
We ask your assistance in distributing the following explanation to our members, especially your VFW Auxiliary Presidents and other National Convention registrants so that there is no misunderstanding about what is stated in Section 810 of the Bylaws and the statements: “Packets will NOT be mailed after Convention. Do NOT register if you do not plan to attend.”
Section 810 states in part: “Each Auxiliary President should register for the National
Convention. As a note of explanation, it continues: “If they are unable to attend, the
Convention packet, with the National Program book, will be mailed to them following the Convention.” Thus, the Bylaws do not mandate that convention packets are mailed to those registrants who do not attend; the convention packet was mailed as a courtesy. Further, in accordance with the statement at the top of page 1 of the Booklet of Instructions—“any changes to the procedure of handling dues or communications will be directed by the National Secretary-Treasurer through the Treasurer’s Guide, Secretary’s Tips, or special communications (such as this Memo) sent by National.”
EXPLANATION: Based on the above information and the facts that (1) printing and distributing hard copies of the National Program book is an ever-increasing expense; (2) the incoming National President chose not to print the National Program book, but to make available a digital copy of the 2016-17 National Program book online at no cost to every member after the first of July; (3) the 2016-17 year-end report book will be available online after National Convention, and (4) the online publication of these books furthers the Organization’s efforts “to go green.”
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE WHITE CITY WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTING WOMEN’S CLOTHING!!!!
Please be sure to send me any changes in your President, Secretary, Treasurer or change in your Auxiliary dues, as soon as the change happens. Also please send a copy of the change or correction to National Headquarters, the address for National is on the bottom of the form. This is very important!!!!!!! If you have any questions fell free to call or email me.
AUXILIARY TO THE VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS
DEPARTMENT OF OREGON
GENERAL ORDERS #6
MAY – JUNE 2016
MUST BE READ AT THE FIRST REGULAR MEETING FOLLOWING
RECEIPT BEFORE BEING FILED FOR REFERENCE.
THE OREGON AUXILIARY VFW WEB SITE SHALL BE DEEMED SUFFICIENT AND LAWFUL NOTICE TO ALL DEPARTENT MEMBERS FOR ANY AND ALL PURPOSE.
1. THANK YOU TO THOSE Ladies Auxiliaries that helped sponsor a Patriot Art entry.
2. The first Council of Administration meeting for 2016-7 shall be held Sunday, June 12, 2016 at Kah Nee Ta Spa and Resort in Warm Springs, OR.
3. Department Officers who will not be attending Department Convention must notify the Department President immediately and must mail their Department badge to the Department Treasurer (insured). Those failing to return their badge will be charged for the cost of replacement.
4. Any Ladies Auxiliary failing to have four (4) consecutive audits for 2015-2016 on file with the Department Treasurer and complying with Section 814 of the National Bylaws, the office of President and Treasurer bonded, and other financial obligations or supply money to National Headquarters, will be denied voting privileges on all levels. All rights shall be promptly restored upon proper adjustment of such deficiencies. See Section 309, page 37.
5. Please make sure the Report of Election and Installation of Officers is mailed immediately after the Installation of Officers to the Department Secretary or input online by the Auxiliary Secretary in accordance with instruction received from the Department Secretary
6. Department Officers and Chairman: Please mail any vouchers you have to the Department President ASAP. All vouchers must be in by May 20th unless related to the Department Convention expenses.
7. Ladies Auxiliary Schools of Instruction will be held in Pendleton on 8/13/16, Molalla on 8/20/16 and Sutherlin on 8/27/15. All members should plan on attending a School of Instruction as there are more changes occurring during the upcoming year.
8. There is no proxy voting in any Auxiliary elections. (See Demeter’s manual).
9. Joan Penney, National Ambassador for Youth Activities, will be the National Representative at the Department Convention.
BY ORDER OF ATTEST
ROSE MARIE ALLYN JAN HALVERSON
DEPARTMENT PRESIDENT DEPARTMENT SECRETARY
Veteran and Family Support Fundraiser
We are asking once again for each District in the Department of Oregon to provide one basket for a Silent Auction to be held at the State Convention at the Kah-Nee-Ta Resort and Spa in Warm Springs June 8 through 12, 2016. All proceeds from the Auction will go to the National Veterans Services and Veteran & Military Support Programs.
Need some ideas for themes? How about a wagon filled with gardening supplies; a colander filled with kitchen items; a basket of goodies for “game night”; a large popcorn bucket filled with “movie night” snacks; a “road trip” basket filled with snacks and activities for the road; an assortment of lottery tickets; fill a basket with chocolate items; an ice bucket with a wine selection, the possibilities are endless! Of course you don’t have to have a theme for your basket. Just fill something with random items that you think people might be tempted to bid on.
Please ask each Auxiliary in your District to provide something for the basket and bring it to Convention. Let’s raise some money for these important programs and have fun competing to win something fabulous!
WEBSITE CONTACT INFORMATION:
Please send anything you want put on the web page to email@example.com. Make sure it is in Word and is sent as attachment. Also please make sure there is a subject of where you want the information to go (ie Membership, Events, Americanism, ect.) Thank you, Chris Website person